“At a time when exotic cultures are often merely tagged on to Western works, Maboungou uses her sources with artistic integrity.”
Victor Swoboda, The Gazette, May 22, 2010
“Zab Maboungou is one of those talented artists who has come from elsewhere to settle here, whose contribution to the culture of this country is exceptional.”
Department of Foreign Affairs of Canada
– Incantation Presentation at the African Odyssey Festival at the Kennedy Center in Washington.
– “Grand homage” Prize from the Minister of Culture of Cameroon.
– “Pioneer of African Dance in Canada” Award at the Canadian AfriCan: The Dance Immersion Conference: The Business of Dance, Toronto.
– Launch of the book “Heya Danse! History, Poetics, and Didactics of African Dance.”
– “Tribute for Zab Maboungou’s exceptional contribution to the art of dance” by the 5th Kriye Bode Symposium devoted to the art of dance and the Haitian drum at the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.
– Zab Maboungou is named “Model of Vision and Excellence” and Zab Maboungou / Nyata Nyata is recognized as “Enterprise Champion of Diversity” by the Network of African Entrepreneurs and Professionals (REPAF).
– Laureate of Black History Month.
– Nominated for Montreal by Night’s Best Show of the Year and Dance Artist of the Year at Gala Soba 2011.
– Conference and presentation of Gestures de / libéré at Harvard University.
– Guest Choreographer for the dance company COBA, Collective of Black Artists. On a Clear Day … premiered in Toronto. First Canadian choreographic commission in dance from the African and Neo-African diaspora.
– Guest speaker at the 24th International Conference of the International Association of Black Dancers (IABD). Tribute received for contribution to the dance.
– The Minister of Arts and Culture of Cameroon and the International Festival of Dance and Percussions Abok I Ngoma awarded “Mrs. Zab Maboungou, teacher / choreographer / dancer : The Excellence Abok for her immense body of work for the development of dance around the world.”
– Charles Biddle Award 2013, recognizing the exceptional contribution of a person who immigrated to Québec and whose personal and professional commitment contributes to the cultural and artistic development of Québec nationally and internationally.
– For her exceptional contribution to the cultural and artistic development of Québec, for her determination, her influence and versatility, the Réseau collegial du Québec appoints Ms. Zab Maboungou as “outstanding personality in the college network.”
– The prestigious Martin Luther King Junior Achievement Award in recognition of her work as a testament to brilliance in choreographic art.
– Guest speaker at the Re:generations Conference – ‘Rethinking the past to reimagine the future’ organized by the African Diaspora Dance Association (ADAD) in collaboration with IRIE! Dance Theater, De Montfort University and Pavilion Dance South West in Bournemouth, UK.
– Zab Maboungou / Nyata Nyata Dance Company, Dance Laureate of the 30th Grand Prix du Conseil des arts de Montréal for the outstanding performance of the work, Mozongi, as part of the 25th anniversary at the SAT in 2014 and brilliantly performed by experienced interpreters.
– Zab Maboungou, honored by the organization Cultures croisées.
– Zab Maboungou / Nyata Nyata Dance Company received the first Dance Diversity Award from the Montreal Arts Council as part of the Montreal Dance Awards.
– Zab Maboungou and Zab Maboungou / Nyata Nyata Dance Company, members of the International Dance Committee of UNESCO